Many parents wonder if hospitals provide newborn photography services as part of their birthing experience. In this blog post, we’ll explore whether hospitals offer newborn photography and provide some helpful tips for capturing those special memories.
Image copywrite South West Healthcare
Here are some tips and ideas to ask your birthing hospital before the arrival of your baby;
- Inquire with your midwife: When you book your stay at the hospital for the birth of your baby, it’s a good idea to ask your midwife or the hospital staff about any available newborn photography services. They will be able to provide you with specific information regarding photography options at the hospital.
- Check room facilities: While some hospitals may have arrangements with professional newborn photographers who visit the premises, others might have restrictions on external photographers bringing in lighting equipment. If possible, consider opting for a room with a window as natural light can be beneficial for capturing beautiful newborn photographs.
- Explore hospital policies: Each hospital may have its own policies regarding newborn photography. Some hospitals may have designated photographers who specialize in capturing newborn moments, while others may allow parents to bring in their own professional photographers. It’s important to familiarize yourself with the hospital’s policies to know what options are available to you.
- Consider DIY photography: If professional newborn photography services are not available or allowed at the hospital, you can still capture precious moments on your own. Make sure to bring your camera or smartphone and be prepared to take photos of your little one in the comfort of your hospital room. Keep in mind some safety guidelines, such as ensuring the baby is in a safe and comfortable position.
- Embrace candid moments: Remember that newborn photography doesn’t always have to be posed and staged. Candid moments can be just as beautiful and meaningful. Capture the tender moments between you and your baby, the first skin-to-skin contact, and the loving interactions with family members.
What To Dress Baby for Hospital Newborn Photography
When dressing your baby for newborn photography at the hospital, choose clothes that are comfy, soft, and cute. Here are some tips:
- Keep it simple: Pick outfits without too many buttons, snaps, or zippers. They can be fussy and make your baby uncomfortable.
- Soft fabrics: Look for clothes made of gentle materials like cotton or bamboo. They feel nice on your baby’s delicate skin.
- Right size: Choose clothes that fit well, not too tight or loose. They should show off your baby’s natural features and let them move easily.
- Neutral colors: Use colors like white, cream, or pastels. They give a timeless and sweet look that doesn’t distract from your baby’s face. Avoid busy patterns or bold prints.
- Cute accessories: Add simple and subtle extras like soft hats, headbands, or small bows. They can make the photos even more charming without overshadowing your baby.
- Blend with the surroundings: Consider the hospital’s calm environment. Outfits in earthy tones or soft pastels can go well with the surroundings and make the photos look great.
Above images is a wrap and headband set with announcement disk from Snuggly Jacks
Remember, newborn photography captures your baby’s innocence and preciousness. Choose comfy and simple clothes to keep them happy during the session. Enjoy the experience and cherish these special moments with your newborn!
Ensure the hospital newborn session is no longer than an hour
It’s important to keep photography sessions at the hospital to a maximum of one hour. This is because sharing a room with other patients can be disruptive, and it may interfere with your care needs, such as breastfeeding and receiving assistance from the midwife. A three-hour newborn session, for example, is not suitable while you’re still in the hospital. Prioritizing your rest, care, and privacy during this time is essential.
This is why many photographers offer mini sessions which range from 20-45minutes. They are better suited for the hospital environment.
While hospitals may vary in their offerings, it’s worth inquiring about newborn photography services when making your birthing arrangements. Ask your midwife or hospital staff about any available options and familiarize yourself with the policies in place. If professional services are not available, don’t worry! You can still capture priceless moments of your newborn using your own camera or smartphone. Embrace the opportunity to document this special time and create lasting memories of your baby’s early days.
Discover the single most important tip for stunning “DIY photography results in this FREE video tutorial.
Say goodbye to a common mistake I see both amateurs and professionals often make.
Meet Jess, a passionate photographer specializing in newborn photography based in country Victoria Australia. With a personal journey starting as a new mum struggling to learn photography while caring for a newborn, Jess understands the challenges and overwhelming experience many parents face.
Driven by a desire to help others, Jess now offers online training programs designed to empower both parents and photographers to capture beautiful moments of settled and sleepy newborns. Providing quick and easy techniques to ensure stunning newborn photographs with ease.
Whether you’re a parent wanting to capture precious moments of your newborn or a photographer looking to enhance your skills in newborn photography, Jess is here to guide you on this beautiful journey.
Join their online training programs and discover the joy of capturing those precious moments that will be cherished for a lifetime.