Newborn Photography is really difficult, and many talented photographers choose not to specialise in it. Sadly, new photographers often try newborn photography without proper training when they’re just starting out.
When you see a pose done by an experienced newborn photographer, everything is carefully done to make sure the baby is comfortable, warm, and safe. They make sure the baby can breathe properly, their blood flows well, and there’s no pressure on their joints, neck, or spine. They also take care to prevent the baby from falling off any props.
Not every baby can do every pose, and some poses should only be done by combining multiple pictures together. During a newborn session, the baby gets to decide what poses they’re comfortable with. If a baby doesn’t settle into a pose, even after making sure they’re comfortable, it’s best to skip that pose.
Newborn Photography is unregulated
It is important to note that newborn photography is an unregulated industry, which means that anyone can pick up a camera and claim to be a newborn photographer. Therefore, it becomes essential for parents to ensure that the photographer they choose has received the proper training and possesses experience in working with newborns, understanding how to safely pose and wrap them.
Tips to finding an experienced newborn photographer
Finding an experienced newborn photographer requires some careful consideration. Here are a few important questions to ask when searching for a newborn photographer:
- Do they specialize in newborn photography? Newborn photography is an incredibly specialized field, and photographers who focus on this area are more likely to have the necessary skills and knowledge to work with newborns safely.
- Have they taken any workshops or received training in posing newborns? Training and education specific to newborn photography are crucial as it ensures that the photographer understands the unique requirements and safety precautions involved in working with such delicate subjects.
- Review their portfolio: Take a close look at the photographer’s portfolio to gauge their style and the safety measures they employ in their images. Look for photographs where the baby appears comfortable, secure, and not subjected to potentially harmful poses.
- How long have they been working with newborns? Experience matters when it comes to handling newborns during photography sessions. An experienced photographer will be more familiar with the intricacies of newborn posing and safety protocols.
- Are they vaccinated against whooping cough, flu, and COVID-19? Since newborns have fragile immune systems, it is crucial for the photographer to be vaccinated against contagious diseases to minimize any potential risks.
- Do they have insurance? Professional photographers typically have liability insurance to protect themselves and their clients. It is important to verify if the photographer you choose has adequate coverage.
You get what you pay for
Remember, when it comes to newborn photography, you often get what you pay for. High-quality photographers who prioritize safety and have the necessary training and experience may charge more, but it is worth the investment for the well-being of your newborn.
Don’t fall into the Pinterest trap!
It is essential to be cautious of certain misleading images found on platforms like Pinterest. For example, pictures of babies hanging in hammocks may seem captivating, but a professional photographer would never actually hang a baby in such a manner. These images are often composite images, where the baby is safely positioned on a cushion or beanbag and then edited to create the illusion of hanging. Understanding the distinction between realistic and composite images is crucial for ensuring the safety of your newborn.
Newborn safety must always come first
Ultimately, no matter how appealing a newborn photograph may be, safety must always come first. Understanding how to safely pose a baby, ensuring they have an unobstructed airway, and avoiding hyperextension of their limbs is paramount. The safest pose for DIY photos is placing a baby on their back on a firm sleep surface, such as a crib or bassinet.
By taking the time to research and select a reputable and experienced newborn photographer, parents can ensure that their baby’s safety is prioritized while capturing those precious early memories.
Meet Jess, a talented newborn photography who loves taking pictures of newborn babies. She lives in country Victoria, Australia. Jess knows what it’s like to be a new mom and learn photography while taking care of a newborn. She understands how overwhelming it can be.
Jess wants to help parents and photographers like you. She offers online training programs that teach you how to take amazing photos of calm and sleepy newborns. You’ll learn simple techniques that make capturing beautiful pictures easy.
Whether you’re a parent who wants to capture special moments of your baby or a photographer who wants to improve your newborn photography skills, Jess is here to help. Join her online training programs and discover the joy of capturing precious moments that you’ll cherish forever.