In this blog post, we’ll explore the best time to capture those precious moments and the benefits of photographing newborns at different ages. So grab your camera and let’s dive in!
Part 1: Within the First 21 Days
The Sweet Spot When it comes to newborn photography, the first 21 days after birth are often considered the sweet spot. Why, you ask? Here are some reasons:
- Sleepy and Curly: Newborns are usually sleepier and more curled up during the early days. This makes it easier to capture those adorable and peaceful sleeping poses, creating heartwarming memories.
- Flexibility: Babies are more flexible in their first few weeks, allowing photographers to gently pose them in cute positions. Those tiny hands and feet are just too precious to miss!
- Freshness and Fragility: Newborns change quickly, and capturing their fresh and delicate features in the first three weeks helps freeze those early moments forever.
- For optiomal timing we suggest capturing newborns within the first 14 days as during this period, babies are typically more sleepier, more flexible, and easier to pose. After 14 days, I find some babies go through growth spurts where they can take longer to settle or sleep times are reduced but it is certainly still very achievable.
Part 2: A Bit Older, But Still Adorable
Around 8 Weeks Now, let’s talk about photographing babies around 8 weeks old. Although it’s a bit different from the earlier stage, there are still benefits to consider:
- Curious and Alert: As babies grow older, they become more awake, curious, and expressive. This means you’ll capture more photos of your baby with their eyes open, showing off their unique personality.
- Developing Interaction: Around 8 weeks, babies start to engage more with their surroundings and smile. You’ll get those heart-melting grins and glimpses of their developing personalities.
- Precious Milestones: By this age, babies might start lifting their heads during tummy time or discovering their hands and feet. Photographing these milestones adds a touch of charm to your collection.
- Babies at 8 weeks or earlier can still be easily swaddled and settle into a recreated womb-like sensation, making it possible to capture adorable sleeping shots. Their natural inclination to curl up and the soothing effects of swaddling can help create those precious, peaceful moments that are perfect for newborn photography. During Covid lockdowns I captures many baby at the 8-week mark simply because there was no choice. The parents were thrilled with their session all the same.
8 week old baby pictured above
Conclusion: Whether you choose to capture your newborn’s first moments within the first 21 days or a bit later, each stage offers its own magical moments to treasure. Remember, the most important thing is to have fun, be patient, and create everlasting memories of your little bundle of joy.
Meet Jess, a passionate newborn photographer based in country Victoria, Australia. Having experienced the challenges of learning photography while caring for a newborn herself, Jess empathizes with overwhelmed parents.
Driven by a desire to help, Jess now offers offers online training programs for parents and photographers alike. Learn quick and easy techniques to capture stunning photos of settled and sleepy newborns effortlessly.
Whether you’re a parent wanting to document your newborn’s precious moments or a photographer seeking to enhance your skills, Jess is here to guide you on this beautiful journey.
Join Jess’s offers online training programs and discover the joy of capturing timeless moments that will be cherished forever.