Whether you’re a professional photographer or a new parent wanting to take stunning first photos of your baby, choosing the right props can enhance the overall aesthetic and create captivating images that will be cherished for a lifetime. In this blog post, we’ll explore where to find the perfect newborn photography props for two distinct styles: lifestyle newborn photography and professional newborn photography setups.
Section 1: Props for Lifestyle Newborn Photography
Lifestyle newborn photography aims to capture natural and candid moments of the baby and parents in a relaxed setting, usually at home or in the hospital. The props used in this style should complement the loving bond between the family members while adding a touch of charm to the images.
Bassinet sheet, wrap and headband and announcement disk by Snuggly Jacks.
- Matching Wraps and Hats/Headbands: Soft and cozy wraps in delicate pastel shades or neutral and earthy shades, paired with adorable hats or headbands, create a heartwarming appeal in newborn photos. These items not only keep the baby snug but also add a touch of cuteness that parents adore.
- Announcement Disks: Personalized wooden or acrylic announcement disks with the baby’s name, birth date, and weight are gaining popularity among new parents. Placing these disks next to the baby in photos adds a unique touch and serves as a wonderful keepsake.
- Soft Blankets and Textured Fabrics: Opt for soft, high-quality blankets and fabrics with varying textures that provide a comfortable backdrop for your little one. Neutral colors and soft patterns work best to maintain focus on the baby.
Where to Buy: For lifestyle newborn photography props, look for online stores specializing in baby accessories and photography props. Etsy, Amazon, and specialized photography prop shops offer a wide variety of options to suit your style.
Props/accessories to get you started (Lifestyle):
Hank Knitwear – is handmade gender-neutral baby wear using natural and sustainable fibres. These items are timeless and so stunning that many newborn photographers stock their products in their studio. They are wonderful keepsake for parents too.
Snuggly Jacks – offers gorgeous announcement sets whick include wraps, hats and annoucement disk. There are many gorgeous brands you can find but here’s an example to get you started.
The Young Folk Collective – Offers gorgeous Moses baskets that are not only practical but gorgeous for your DIY newborn shoot.
Section 2: Props for Professional Newborn Photography
Professional newborn photography setups often involve more elaborate and stylized scenes, using props that may not be practical for everyday use. These items are designed to create visually stunning images that highlight the baby’s innocence and beauty.
- Wooden Buckets and Baskets: Miniature wooden buckets or baskets lined with soft fabric provide a rustic and adorable prop to cradle the newborn. These props add a touch of whimsy to the images and are a favorite among professional photographers.
- Props with Personalized Elements: Consider incorporating personalized elements such as custom-made name blocks, engraved birth information on wooden boards, or monogrammed blankets. These props can give the photos a unique and special touch.
- Themed Props: For photographers looking to create themed setups, props like vintage suitcases, dreamy canopy beds, floral wreaths, or fairy-tale-inspired accessories can bring a magical quality to the images.
Where to Buy: Professional newborn photography props can be found at specialized photography prop stores, dedicated online marketplaces, and even rental studios that cater to photographers. Websites like B&H, Adorama, and Photobert are excellent places to start your search.
Props/accessories to get you started (for Photographers):
Princess and the Pea Props – have the most gorgeous collection of wraps, hats, headbands and wooden props to set up your studio.
The Origional Photoblocks Props – another stunning dedicated newborn photography prop business offering the finest products for your newborns and studio essentials like their posing bean pillows below;
Using a dog bed instead of the posing beanbag – Using a large dog bed for newborn photography works perfectly for me. It offers a comfortable and secure surface that can be easily moved and stored upright to save space. It’s a convenient and affordable alternative to the posing beanbag, which is harder to store and takes up a lot of room. The dog bed (used in the image below) also provides a fantastic backdrop for photos, allowing you to use clips to pull stretch fabric for wrinkle-free, crisp, and smooth backgrounds.
Choosing the right newborn photography props is crucial in achieving the desired style and atmosphere in your images. Whether you opt for lifestyle photography with matching wraps and hats or go all out with professionally styled setups, the props you select will undoubtedly add depth and charm to your newborn photos. Remember to prioritize safety when using any props, ensuring that they are gentle and comfortable for your little one. So, get ready to capture those fleeting moments and create timeless memories that will be cherished for generations to come!
Meet Jess, a passionate photographer specializing in newborn photography based in country Victoria Australia. With a personal journey starting as a new mum struggling to learn photography while caring for a newborn, Jess understands the challenges and overwhelming experience many parents face.
Driven by a desire to help others, Jess now offers online training programs designed to empower both parents and photographers to capture beautiful moments of settled and sleepy newborns. Providing quick and easy techniques to ensure stunning newborn photographs with ease.
Whether you’re a parent wanting to capture precious moments of your newborn or a photographer looking to enhance your skills in newborn photography, Jess is here to guide you on this beautiful journey.
Join their online training programs and discover the joy of capturing those precious moments that will be cherished for a lifetime.